The Department of Media Studies offers ideal conditions for working on your PhD project. We provide highly qualified PhD candidates with the opportunity to earn a doctorate degree, enabling them to launch a professional career in academia or pursue other professions that require this qualification.
Our PhD students make a significant contribution to the research profile of Media Studies in Basel. They are an integral part of our team, benefiting from discussions in colloquia, department events, and the eikones PhD program. As of 1 February 2020, all PhD students in the Department of Media Studies are institutionally integrated into the Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences (GS-HSS).
At the University of Basel, you can pursue your doctoral project independently or as part of structured PhD programs.
General Information and Advice
The University of Basel Supports You in Publishing Your Research
- Foundations and funds that subsidize dissertation printing costs
- Editing expenses for English-language papers:the University of Basel supports the scholarly writing skills of its PhD students by offering Academic Editing for research published in English.
Further Helpful Resources for PhD Research at the University of Basel
- The Graduate Center at the University of Basel
- Guidance regarding the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences PhD regulations
- The University of Basel PhD Guide
- eikones Graduate School
- FAQs about PhD programs at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- PhD Agreement
- Please see here for all other relevant PhD documents
Independent PhD Study
In addition to a PhD program within the GS-HSS, you can also choose to pursue your doctoral research independently. If you choose to do so, you will need to earn 12 credits in addition to writing your dissertation.
PhD students can present their ongoing research projects in colloquia, where they have the opportunity to discuss their work with faculty members. The Colloquium is held at least once a semester and lasts a full day. You will find up-to-date schedules in advance in the course catalog. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact the adjunct assistant faculty. We welcome external guests!