Magnus Rust studied applied cultural sciences and science and technology studies (STS) in Vienna, Zurich and Hildesheim. Rust's journalistic and essayistic texts were published in the Süddeutsche Zeitung, Frankfurter Rundschau, taz and the Zürcher Fabrikzeitung.
- Work and influence of the computer science pioneer and social critic Joseph Weizenbaum (1923-2008)
- History of the mentality of digitalization
- Mutual influence of neurology, psychoanalysis and computer development
- Knowledge transfers of computer science between North America and Europe
- Collateral anthropology of man-machine research
- Cultural technique of walking (flâneuse, strolling sciences, urbangraphy, dérive)
- Border areas of journalistic, social scientific, ethnographic and historical work